Friday, February 22, 2008

The return


A trip home to England explains my tardy posting. Such was the whistle-stop nature of the visit, I didn't get to a see all my friends, let alone a computer.
I did however, manage to get a small arts and culture fix. The BBC's Culture Show was heralding the rise of the YBF - the Young British Female recording artist. Following in the wake of Lily Allen and Winehouse, the Joni M-likened Laura Marling, Wales's Duffy and London soul-jazz starlet Adele as do suggest they are on to something. The latter (the new Amy Winehouse apparently) plays Toronto on March 26, so we can make up our minds then, I suppose. The artists on Later With Jools Holland, the UK's long-running music show, were uncharacteristically disappointing though, except for nerd electro-ists Hot Chip of course, who I managed to get a ticket for when they play the GTA in April. Hurray.
It made me realise how much I miss the BBC's cultural programming, digital radio and warm beer. Not the weather however, which, in an apparent disregard for my visitation rights, was unexplicably cold (minus 6 one day). No respite from the Great White's chill or weatherspeak then...

No comments: